Do you serve chocolate milk?

I’ve been thinking about chocolate milk, after reading an article in the Washington Post about chocolate milk served in schools.

And here’s the thing: My kids drink only chocolate milk. But…and this is an enormous “but”, when I say chocolate milk, I mean 1% or 2% milk (and–

Pardon me, my son just walked over and—with a pleased smile—handed me the electric mousetrap. ::sigh:: At least he didn’t somehow figure out how to defeat the safety measures and give himself a shock, right?

I’m sorry, what was I saying? Oh, I was about to say that I’m probably going to switch them to skim shortly. But when I give them their chocolate milk, it’s 1% or 2% with a teaspoon or two of Carnation Instant Breakfast in it. I almost never buy the premixed chocolate milk in the store (except as a dessert treat), because it’s got much more sugar and fewer vitamins.

However…since Yael started school in September, she’s been drinking chocolate milk at breakfast at her school almost every day. (Every kid gets a free breakfast, probably because it’s a Title I school, but Yael won’t eat any of the foods, my little picky eater.) And I’m ambivalent about it, because now we’re talking about the premixed stuff.

As it happens, Yael is skinny as a rail, so it’s probably not doing her any harm, but…she doesn’t need the extra sugar, certainly. (Both her daddy and one grandma are diabetic.) And I would prefer she keep her taste for the much less sweet chocolate milk I serve at home.

And what about kids who aren’t skinny enough to get lost behind saplings? Should we be encouraging them to drink the stuff?

My kids won’t drink what my father calls “naked milk.” Barak won’t because Yael won’t, and Yael won’t because when she was little she was neither eating nor drinking anything and we were desperate to get some calories into her, so we started adding a little chocolate.

It seemed like a good idea at the time. (Isn’t that always the way? “Tubby snack” seemed like a good idea at the time, too. ::sigh::) But now I’m really worried that I’ve set my kids up for much less healthy food choices.

So, what about you? Do you give your kids any kind of chocolate milk? Should schools offer chocolate milk at all? Only the skim milk kind? Would it be okay if they served a reformulated chocolate milk that had less sugar and fat?

Advertisements

About mamamara

I'm a 40-somethng, work-at-home mother of two. I'm pro-vaccine, pro-medicine, pro-science, and an avid reader of information about all of the above, and I want to combine my love for my children with my love for science. So here we are!
This entry was posted in Food, Parenting. Bookmark the permalink.

10 Responses to Do you serve chocolate milk?

  1. lucereta says:

    Susannah gets chocolate milk when we eat out. Honestly, I figure it’s probably better than yet more juice. We have enough trouble getting her to eat that I’d rather she at least drink something with some substance to it. It’s one of those topics I just can’t get too worked up about, you know?

  2. MM says:

    I think anything that gets milk into their bodies is a good thing. JT prefers regular 2% milk to chocolate because the school told him it was “the healthier choice” and Literal Kid is literal. Girlchild can choose chocolate milk when we eat out, and I think she chooses it when she gets hot lunch once a week at school, but she’s limited to regular 2% otherwise. It took us years to get to this point with either one. Things they like when they’re five will be things they reject at eight, and vice versa.

  3. Bonnie T says:

    Josh buys chocolate milk with his lunch at school (it’s 1%); Arianna’s Pre-K class gets 2% white 4 days a week, and chocolate milk on Fridays as a treat. At home we drink skim, and every once in a blue moon someone asks if we can make chocolate milk, but we pretty much just drink plain milk. We go through almost a gallon a day at home, ’cause we all drink it . . .

    • Bonnie T says:

      Mind you, if choc milk is what it takes to get one’s kids to drink some, then I have *no problem* with serving it to them – but if one can get them to drink “naked milk,” it is healthier. So, waffle waffle waffle . . . ! 🙂

  4. Pingback: Lunches From Home Are Unhealthy? Ex-cuse me??? | a bee from the meadow

  5. Michelle says:

    my 6 yr old got her first cavity and the dentist blamed it on choc. milk at school (which she was choosing daily)– Now she chooses choc. only once a week. Such a good kid.
    I never offer it unless in hot choc. form after I have made them play outside with me in sub-zero weather–but if other kids are having it when we are out or grandma gives it, I don’t really care. A lot of worse things.

    • mamamara says:

      Hmm, I wonder if I can get our dentist to say that 😉 No, seriously, that is a good kid! My problem is that we got into the habit when Yael was Barak’s age and wasn’t eating/drinking *anything*. Her weight was dropping off and we were getting nervous, so the chocolate milk started. Unintended consequences and all that.

Leave a Reply

Fill in your details below or click an icon to log in:

WordPress.com Logo

You are commenting using your WordPress.com account. Log Out / Change )

Twitter picture

You are commenting using your Twitter account. Log Out / Change )

Facebook photo

You are commenting using your Facebook account. Log Out / Change )

Google+ photo

You are commenting using your Google+ account. Log Out / Change )

Connecting to %s